Thursday, November 11, 2010

dirty-joose stankhausen

This blog has primarily been about cake but right now it is about some awful, awful shit. Tonight, as I do some nights, I ate at Stevenson, one of many campus dining halls at Oberlin. I looked up the menu in advance and decided, "Sure, this might be okay." Here is the menu. Annotated.

You might notice that there is moussaka listed at the bottom. Moussaka is not my favorite Greek food, but it is Greek food at least so usually better than not-Greek food. I was a little sketched out because there was a strange skin on top of it that I attributed to the potato starch crusting but now I'm not so sure. Below is a picture of this moussaka right before I threw it violently into the trash. 

All the moussaka I've ever had has consisted of eggplant, bechamel and meat. I can accept the lentils as a substitute for meat---actually, the five lentils hiding shamefacedly beneath the blanket of instant mashed potatoes were pretty good. All five of them. But never in my life have I had carrots, potatoes and zucchini in my damned moussaka and I would like to keep it that way. [note: apparently wikipedia says that moussaka can contain the above ingredients. Fuck wikipedia.] The whole damn thing was absolutely tasteless and there wasn't even any fucking eggplant to distract myself with. Apparently the eggplant was balls, too, according to a friend of mine who suggested a grilled cheese with tomato. I ended up eating a plateful of melons and a bite of some bullshit pie.

This was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever put in my face. This was like leftover night at my mother's house if she ever went insane (more insane?) and forgot what salt and spices were like. This was like being given your favorite candy and having it taste like clorox and anal lube. This was like being ass-raped in the face. I usually defend the campus dining services because generally the food is better here than most places, and you do have many choices, but no more. I think I permanently hate food now, thanks to that moussaka. 

I can't even be bothered to be funny because this food was that goddamn bad. I guess I am effectively a fruitarian these days because that's all I can stomach.


Also, carrots are fucking nasty. That is all. 



PS- regarding the notes on the first picture---I was a bit amazed at the concept of a turkey chop, and even though I'm trying to munch roots and leaves mostly these days, I probably should have gone with it. There are no turkeys in Asia, though. At least not naturally. Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment